|The canal came to
Market Harborough in 1809 and there has been a long history of boat
building and timber businesses. The last firm closed in 1997 prior to
the redevelopment of the basin. This has removed all traces of the
commercial history and the increased water area now serves holiday hire
boats and private moorings.
Bottom right is an artist's sketch showing these new developments and the old timber sheds can be seen in the top left hand of this panel. A landmark sculpture within the basin is designed to commemorate the area's commercial and industrial heritage.
|The Union Wharf||Ann Hawkins||Marjorie Clements|