|The building shown,
was originally occupied by the Market Harborough Building Society. Built
in the 1920s specifically for the Society, it was taken over by the
paper in 1965 after the Building Society had moved into Welland House in
the Square. Market Harborough's first paper was the Harborough
Advertiser founded in 1854 which was published monthly. In 1890 the
Market Harborough Mail was started and the two papers merged in
1923 becoming the Market Harborough Advertiser and the Midland Mail.
The Harborough Mail, together with it's sister paper the
Lutterworth Mail, sells over 12,500 papers a week.
Harbie is a very tall, furry dog character who joined the staff of the paper in 1992. He has his own column every week and a club for the children. There are now over 1,000 members of Harbie's Gang. He can be seen at many events throughout the year and his favourite moments are to be on the Mail's Carnival float in June and to hug everyone at the Late Night Shopping Event!
|Harborough Mail & Harbie||Jean Smith||Marjorie Clements|